“When world-renowned writer Elena Poniatowska arrived at the library for the ribbon-cutting ceremony, there were hundreds of people in attendance. … [Read More...] about Honoring Donna Shultz’s Decade of Volunteer Service
The Palapa Society of Todos Santos, A.C., is a multi-cultural non-profit Mexican Civil Association. Our mission is to make a positive difference in people’s lives through inspirational quality education and timely support through community service and programs.
The Palapa Society started over 15 years ago, with local expat homeowners Jeanne Cordova and Lynn Ballen, who believed that the secret to a successful future for Todos Santos and the surrounding pueblos and rural areas, resides in providing children access to a quality education in preparation for their adult lives.
Early in 2015 Palapa Learning Center founding donors, Cindy and David Higgins, had a vision of providing quality education for Todos Santos youth. Read more…
- “Education is very important to me. I realize that having access to quality education isn’t easy for many students in Mexico. For the last few years, it has been my pleasure to sponsor one student at The Palapa School by giving an easy monthly donation. It brings me great satisfaction to know that I am contributing to a student’s education and making a life changing impact on his or her life. I thank the founders of this project, my friends Cindy and David Higgins, for having this unique vision and making it happen. I am honored to a be part of such an amazing enterprise.”
— Margot Hampleman, Decorative Materials – CEO & President, Colorado
- "I have always believed in the importance of getting involved and giving back to the community in which I live. When I made a permanent move to Todos Santos, Tori Sepulveda introduced me to The Palapa Society and I immediately knew this was where I wanted to direct my energy and resources. I have always been passionate about education, and the Palapa's mission resonated deeply with me. I've served as a member of the board of directors, and now I am an Advisory Board member. However, watching and participating in the creation of The Palapa School was the highlight of this journey. Now, sponsoring a student through the entire five-year process of her education at this school has been (and continues to be) incredibly rewarding."
—Ann Hazard, Writer, Todos Santos and California
- “Since its inception 17 years ago, The Palapa Society has been an integral part of the positive development of the Todos Santos Community. Every action and step of growth has been with the good of the community in mind. Having been part of the Palapa Board is one of my proudest accomplishments including being a teacher and a human being concerned with individual education and self-growth. As the Palapa family, we are aware of every individual. Every step is monitored with care, whether it be the Elena Poniatowska Library, the Puente Bridge to English program, or The Palapa School. Every individual connected with The Palapa Society is personally committed to excellence. Like our students, we all work hard to achieve the best.” – Tori Sepulveda
- “Judi and I have always felt a huge need to give back. We are focused in our philanthropy on education and, in particular, scholarships and grants that would change the lives of individuals who otherwise would not have been able to receive an education.” “Our gifts to The Palapa Society have exemplified this ethic. It has given Judi and me great pleasure and satisfaction to provide funds to The Palapa Society which have enabled bright young children to obtain a quality education when, without that assistance, they might well have dropped out of the educational process.” - Milt & Judi Stewart
- "As a former educator, I understand firsthand the power of an excellent education. As a member of the community, I felt a desire to support this place that embraced me as a guest in this Magical Town. What I didn’t expect was how personally involved I would become and how truly satisfying it was to see the positive impact of The Palapa Society in the community. It is humbling to see how hard students and parents work to make education a priority. It is gratifying to know we can each play a small part in helping them achieve their educational and life goals. I feel deeply honored to have served on the Board and work with the community for a common purpose." – Kathy Warnert
The Latest from The Palapa Society
Our Latest Video
The Palapa Society of Todos Santos, A.C. exists to make a positive difference in people’s lives through inspirational quality education and timely support through community service and programs.
It is the vision of The Palapa Society of Todos Santos, A.C. to be a sustainable, accessible community focused organization in which quality educational programs empower choice filled lives and create positive transformational change.